Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Napa - Wednesday - 9/14/16

Happy Birthday to me! There's nothing better than being on vacation for your birthday. I began my day with the great yoga class. It felt soooo good to stretch out and practice my zen. After a visit to the gym, Eric and I got ready for my birthday events. My Mom called and we face-timed while I curled my hair.  Danielle sent me the cutest birthday video from Baby Anthony!


The sweetest birthday present was an animated video from baby Anthony. SOO CUTE



My birthday party would begin at Pine Ridge Vineyards, which is a winery Danielle had visited and loved. Since she is a wine club member, she was actually able to hook us up with a FREE tour and tasting worth $100!! Thanks again Danielle!

We departed around 1:15pm and drove along the scenic Silverado trail for 20 minutes before arriving at our destination. We walked around and took photos before entering the winery.



Picture I took in the parking lot in front of Pine Ridge. Eric dressed up so nice for my birthday!







Demonstration Vineyard - we later learned this is a non-production vineyard that allows guests to have a hands on experience. I've definitely never seen anything like this before. Pretty neat








I can't get enough of California's perfect weather







Peaceful and beautiful







This is the best birthday ever! There is literally no where in the entire world I'd rather be!







Comfortable and casual tasting room was the meeting place for our tour






Pine Ridge has 180 acres in Napa on 5 different appellations, including the famous Stags Leap district! 



Upon entering the winery, we were greeted by our tour guide who welcomed us by wishing me a Happy Birthday and pouring our first tasting to enjoy while we waited for the others. A few minutes later, two other middle aged couples arrived and we began our tour. 





Our first taste







The guide led us into the vineyard during our tour.  Notice the flowers? They are planted there intentionally because any disease will attack the flowers before the vines (basically an early warning system)







So far our tour was very informative and I was enjoying every second






Eric enjoying his second taste, which was poured right in the vineyard







Harvest season!








Large impressive facility






Our group getting educated on the barrels






The caves were my favorite! Interesting fact - because the caves are underground, they don't have to pay property tax on it!







You can see the table set up for our tasting at the end 






Art on display in the cave was a nice touch







My first tasting in a wine cave on my 32nd birthday - not too shabby :)







Brochure provided for each person at the table







Tasting deets - Even though Stag's Leap is considered the best, Eric's favorite was the 2013 Oakville. We later bought 6 bottles using Danielle's club membership discount







I will take this over a birthday cake ANYDAY 


When the tasting concluded, the tour guide literally had to force our group to get up from the table. When he indicated it was time to move on, all six of us just sat there ignoring him. The other two couples were friends from Milwaukee. Eric connected with one of the husbands who did business with Johnson Controls. 

After we finally got up, we headed back to the tasting room bar to finish. The guide asked if we wanted to taste anything else, and of course we all did. When he walked away to find a bottle we wanted to try, one of the husbands reached over the counter, grabbed a bottle, and poured himself more wine! LOL. I love it when oldies act up. 

Eric and I joined the club, but I later called and cancelled. We had already joined the club at Barnett and Sabina which was enough of a splurge. 






Enjoying our last tasting on the patio







Last picture at Pine Ridge. Sad to leave!




Needless to say, we had a lot of fun at Pine Ridge and I'm glad we visited. The tour was interesting and comprehensive and the cave tasting was so cool. 

The next stop is Yountville, which is a town in the heart of Napa and only a few miles away. We made dinner reservations there and wanted to walk around and explore the area.






Exterior of Redd, the restaurant we ate at







Vineyards right on the main street in Yountville















Frolicking around






Could frame this one







If this is life at 32, I'll take it!







The famous Thomas Keller's Bouchon Bakery







I chose several items to try







The famous macaroons were BEYOND. Seriously. The caramel one at the bottom was the best







Fig tart



After exploring Yountville for an hour or so, we headed to our dinner reservation at Redd. Danielle ate there and had recommended it. We checked out the menu and thought it was a good option.






Eric's strawberry smash on the left, and my pear cocktail on the right. We sent Eric's $14 smash back because it was not good. A smash should be served in a short glass with muddled fruit, and instead his drink resembled a tall glass of juice (tasted like it too)






He got a Manhattan instead which was much better







Fresh tomato salad is the perfect way to start a meal






This pork belly appetizer was amazing and our favorite dish of the night. They always make pork belly on Top Chef and now I can see why!







Scallops and cauliflower appetizer - two of my favorite foods






Eric's lamb loin was a unique and tasty dish. The flavors reminded me of the Mediterranean household I grew up in






I really enjoyed my chicken entree, but brought most of it home for lunch the next day






No cake this year for me







After dinner, I sat outside and opened some of my birthday cards






A few of my birthday cards back in the room






Yountville in the early evening. We are heading back to Solage now







Taken in the car on the way back


Although it would have been nice to celebrate at home with my family, today was a lovely alternative for my birthday.  Eric bought me a card and wrote a thoughtful message, but we don't exchange gifts and probably never will (if you share a bank account and both work, it's not really a gift, is it?). 

Anyway, I was quite pleased with my day and went to bed looking forward to enjoying the rest of our trip.






2 comments:

  1. well HAPPY BIRTHDAY AGAIN 32! LOOKING FANTASTIC AND HAPPY ON YOUR BDAY.. I WOULD HAVE LOVED TO HAVE SPENT YOUR BDAY WITH YOU... BUT YOUR DAY WAS SPENT IN A BEAUTIFUL ATMOSPHERE AND VERY SERENE... YOU LOOKED BEAUTIFUL AND ERIC LOOKED HANDSOME... WHAT A BEAUTIFUL PLACE NAPPY VALLEY IS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS THE BEST PART OF YOUR BDAY WAS THE THE MESSAGE FROM YOUR PRECIOUS ADORABLE NEPHEW... ANTHONY:)))

    ReplyDelete